Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Late


This is absurd. I'm sitting here at work, chilling, except that everyone by me and our rockin' Managing Editor left hours ago. She's stuck because there is a two-hour wait downstairs to get onto the LIRR because of the transit strike.

This morning, around 3am, the TWU called a strike across all the MTA subways and buses. My fiance woke me up at about 7 and I layered up so I'd be able to walk the four miles, across the Brooklyn Bridge to the Path train at Ground Zero. Now, in all honesty, the walk wasn't that bad. It was a little cold, but it was a nice bonding experience and I got some interesting photos. I'll post them later when I load them onto my home computer, since the USB cord isn't here. It took about an hour to get to the station, including a short stop to get chai at Starbucks to wake us up and warm us up for the walk. Then I hopped on the Path train and despite some delays, I made it to work only 15 minutes late, which is actually better than usual. So, nothing really to complain about there.

But now, Sean is driving in, and he's been in just Brooklyn for an hour and a half now. He left the house around six, and originally we were going to see Handel's "Messiah" at Carnegie Hall tonight (I had run out to buy an outfit because there was no way I could get home in time with the way the trains are downstairs) but I don't think we're going to make that as it starts in just a half hour and I think he's still stuck in BK.

In the meantime, Kanye West is keeping me company and taking me back to just a few months ago when I was in the Bahamas for the Power Summit. That was a fabulous time - totally crazy of course - but considering I got to see quite a few of my favorite hip-hop stars (Common, Kanye West, Busta Rhymes, Black Sheep) perform in intimate venues (and by intimate I mean hotel suites with maybe 50 other people) it was all worth it. I worked out in the same room as Nicole from the Pussycat Dolls and hung out with Alicia Keys' boyfriend. Good times.