Friday, January 06, 2006

Resolutions

When you're a music editor, one of the hardest things to do is to try to listen to everything that comes across your desk. In the past year, I've heard a ton of great music but I found as I slowly sift through the dusty piles of records on my desk, I've missed a lot too. One of the resolutions I have for this year is to listen to all the music that I get. Whether it's just a few songs, or the whole album, everything is going to at least get a spin.

Now, to be honest, even if I had heard some of these great artists, I probably still wouldn't have been able to cover them, mainly because of lack of space in the magazine. My section is four pages, and because of the way it has to be designed, that doesn't give me as much space as I'd like, which is partially why I've started this blog. So every week, expect to find out about a new cool band in addition to my usual musings.

ARTIST OF THE WEEK:
Josh Ritter
The Animal Years
V2 Records

Though I seem to have a penchant for writing "John" instead of "Josh" Ritter, this Idahoan is a great new songwriter. As I've written in my column, we're finally getting past the emo revolution and back to traditional songwriting. It seemed that for a few years there, melodies and layered instrumentals were put on the shelf, while we listened to musicians whine along about their miserable lives. I've never been a big fan of the Smiths or the Cure, so this movement was like death to my ears. Also, I found it unbelievably lazy. Plenty of talented musicians (Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, etc.) haven't had smooth lives but they've managed to turn their sorrow into poetry, instead of throw-away lyrics and uninspired guitar riffs.

But Ritter isn't an emo artist. And while he may not be Johnny Cash, either, he's planned this album with great strategy, weaving in country on songs like "Idaho" and politics on "Girl in the War." This is Ritter's third record, and I'm so impressed with it, I plan on picking up the previous 2, The Golden Age of Radio and Hello Starling.

Other songwriters who I love: Jesse Malin, Ryan Adams, Iron & Wine, The Honorary Title

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home