Monday, January 16, 2006

Violator

This morning, I needed something mindless to take my mind off my commute. So when I got to work, I flipped on my computer, pulled up the files I needed, and popped on Simple Plan's Still Not Getting Any. When all else fails, pop-punk makes perfect background music.

As I left the house this morning, I was in a cheery mood. My lovely fiance had popped out of bed (he doesn't have to go to work today) just to put my coat on me and tell me to have a nice day. It was a sweet gesture, and it really put me in a fabulous mood...until I reached the subway station. In New York, since July 22nd (post the London bombings), police have been "randomly" searching commuters as they approach the subway's turnstiles. I had managed to avoid this until this morning, so I suppose I'm somewhat lucky. My fiance has been searched six times, and asked to be searched a 7th time when he didn't even have a bag. Ridiculous. I put my bags up on the table, and I suppose that my thai food in a Barnes and Noble bag must have looked suspicious...or maybe it was the James Frey book that set them off? Sigh. They swiped my bags down - god knows what they were doing - and ran the paper they used to do it through a computer. The whole time I was fuming, as I was late for work, and was missing my train. The cops just kept telling me to back up from my bags. By the time I got downstairs, my train closed its doors and was about to pull away. Errrr.

Now, I understand what they're trying to do. The theory is by searching commuters they could prevent an episode like what happened in London. Now, that's great, but the way they do it is absurd. If they want to actually stop anything, randomly searching, what every 1 in 200 commuters? If I had refused to let them search my bags I would have had to leave the station. That means I would have just gone in the other entrance. I mean, if they really want to do something productive, get bomb sniffing dogs, have officers set up at every entrance, 24 hours a day, and search everyone that comes through. Make it standard procedure like the airports. Sure, it would be a big hassle, but I'd rather plan for that, then this useless, haphazard system that's in place now. It's a waste of everyone's time.

...Has anyone else noticed that the opening guitar section on "Crazy" sounds remarkably like the Smashing Pumpkins? Once I figure out what SP song it is that I'm thinking of, I'll let you know.